This post features the questions raised in class on September 1. Please do your best to research and answer at least five (or more, if you're one of those extra-credit hounds). Share your answers in comments to this post.
1. With older pieces of literature, is there an easier way to understand older forms of English without reading it ten times or more?
2. What do you think the theme(s) of Beowulf is/are?
3. Did anyone catch onomatopoeia(s) in Beowulf?
4. How about examples of irony?
5. What is a kenning?
6. What is the significance of God in a pagan society? How is Christianity tied into it?
7. Who is Thrith and where can we find info about this character?
8. Did Beowulf act for the benefit of the people or for his own glory?