This commercial below was recently produced by Levi's (and then pulled from the airwaves in the UK due to the image of the young person staring down riot police), and it raises questions. Here are the ones you are required to answer by Monday, August 22 (please post your responses to #1-4 here on the blog, after you get instructions how in class-- #5 will, natch, be a live performance):
1. What poem does this commercial borrow from (without credit), and who wrote the poem?
2. Why might the use of this poem by a corporation be considered ironic?
3. Does the poem reflect the reputation of the author? Why/why not?
4. How did you find the answers to #1 & #3? Describe your research process and your sources in detail.
5. MEMORIZE the poem and be prepared to recite it on demand.